Tub and tile reglazing and refinishing is a new and evolving process. In the past thirty years, the materials used in tile installations have changed dramatically. Steps for tile preparation, however, have not—and preparation is key to a successful refinishing project.
Tub and tile reglazing and refinishing is a new and evolving process. In the past thirty years, the materials used in tile installations have changed dramatically. Steps for tile preparation, however, have not—and preparation is key to a successful refinishing project.There are old and new technologies for reglazing and refinishing.
Old process: Acid etching
In the past, hydrofluoric acid was used to etch or scuff the surface of tubs and tiles, to help the new coatings stick. This process, however, was dangerous to the materials and the technicians, as both tile work and skin is easily damaged by the acid.
New process: Adhesion promoter
The newest technology in bathroom refinishing is an adhesion promoter or bonding agent that acts as a type of “super glue.” This bonding agent chemically fuses the new coating to the original surface. This method creates the tightest bond and is the least likely to peel. Our experts use specially designed, professional-grade tools to promote bonding.
The American Grout Specialists Reglazing/Refinishing Process
- A powerful detergent scrubs the bathtub clean. Any soap film build-up or residual film left behind by household cleaners is removed.
- The tub is rinsed and dried completely using a high temperature heat gun or air hose. Special attention is paid to drains and the area where the tub meets surrounding tiled walls. All moisture is removed.
- Paper masking and plastic masking is installed around the tub and other areas, to protect them from spray.
- The Power Bond agent is applied to the surface of the tub or tile.
- Slip resistant surface is applied to the floor of the tub (if desired).
- A high-gloss acrylic urethane topcoat is applied with an HVLP spray gun, creating a durable surface that will last for years and will not yellow.
- A ventilator removes over-spray, fumes, and particles from the bathroom area.
Reglazing, Recoloring, Bathtub, Sink, Kitchen Sink, Grout Cleaning, Grout Replacement, Tile Cleaning, Tile Replacement, San Francisco, Oakland, Hayward, Fremont, Berkeley, Richmond, Alameda, Castro Valley, Newark, Union City, Emeryville, Albany, San Leandro, San Pablo, El Sobrante, Pinole, San Lorenzo, Hercules, Rodeo, Piedmont, El Cerrito, Marin County, Sonoma County, Napa County, Santa Rosa, Solano County, Martinez, Fairfield, San Rafael, East Palo Alto, Atherton, Belmont, Brisbane, Burlingame, Colma, Daly City, Tiburon, Foster City, Half Moon Bay, Hillsborough, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Menlo Park, Millbrae, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Pacifica, Portola Valley, Redwood City, Redwood Shores, San Bruno, San Carlos, San Mateo, South San Francisco, Woodside, Santa Clara, Milpitas, Cupertino, Sunnyvale, Saratoga, Campbell, Los Gatos, Walnut Creek, Danville, Orinda, Livermore, Pleasanton, Morgan Hill, Gilroy, Santa Cruz and San Benito.